Thursday, December 25, 2014

Holiday Traditions

Life changes being what they have been, I'm far away from the family and friend traditions I've grown to love during this time of year.

My dad's house has a kid's play, written by first my dad and then myself, and then performed by the more patient wee ones for the entertainment of the adults. There is also a yearly viewing of National Lampoon's Winter Vacation :)

My mom's house has stockings hung along the stairwell, which one must catch as they are cut loose. A snack tray fit for the gods and a yearly letter from Santa.

Far and away, I'm having a lovely, quiet, nerdy Christmas of a new breed :) Wifey, and the cat, and our new roommate, Ogre, are hanging out, eating delicious snacks, watching Christmas specials/Doctor Who.

Since we're just hanging about, I'm also dabbling with work. I decided to do a holiday doodle of the character who features most heavily in my current edits: the Hightower state hostage, Duchess Rhosyn, who first appears alongside her fiance and his utterly wretched father.

But in the spirit of the season, I decided to fathom up some winter holiday cheer for dear Rhosyn.



The people of Aisland wrote their wishes for the coming year on a piece of parchment, and then sealed their wishes into a beeswax candle. They exchanged necklaces made from decorative chicken feathers--different colors having unique meanings.

Let's see...we've got sheepskin, the little flowers in the hair, the snow bunnies (don't Google that) and the lacy scarf Rhosyn is wearing...all have meaning. If you want to learn more, go to Aisland :P

No comments:

Post a Comment